Give it to D to find a creative way to clear out some of the inventory… How about a new and/or different beer each day between December 1 and 25? He calls it his Advent Calendar of Beer.
Instead of little candies, we get little beer surprises each day. I’m not exactly sure what the rules are – perhaps he’s making them up as we go along – but it’s been fun trying.
We kicked it off with a weekend away on December 1 and 2, joining up with friends and traveling the “golden triangle of PA beer,” which includes Otto’s Pub & Brewery in State College, The Bullfrog Brewery in Williamsport, and Selin’s Grove Brewing Co. in Selinsgrove.
In addition the the three brewpubs, we enjoyed several additional stops including Zeno’s Pub in State College (where I picked up my St. Nicholaus Brewer’s Reserve in the pretty velvet bag!), a private tasting with the Ferry’s, and an extra visit to Bullfrog for Sunday Brunch (yummmm – beer and eggs – the last time I did that was at Holy Cow in Las Vegas.)
Over the course of the trip, we consumed the brews below. I know the list looks long, but remember that there were 4 of us traveling, 8 of us at the tasting, and the three brewpubs all offered half-pints.
At Otto’s – they had 10 beers on tap plus 2 on the handpump
- Arthur’s Amarillo Pale Ale on cask
- Mom’s Elderberry Stout
- Ottonator Doppelbock
- Apricot Wheat
- Jolly Roger Russian Imperial Stout on cask
At Zeno’s – so many taps and bottles, we can’t count that high…3 cask beers (there is a good reason this place was placed in the Top 50 Places to Have a Beer (#41))
- Arthur’s Amarillo Pale Ale on cask (again!)
- St. Nick Bock – Penn Brewing
- Gouden Carolus Ambrio
- Bell’s Two Hearted – featured on the TODAY show this week
- St. Bernardus Christmas Ale – this is the first year available in US in bottles, and was the honorary first beer on the Advent Calendar.
At Bullfrog – they had 12 of their own (2 on cask) and two guest taps; unfortunately the Hop Harvest kicked the previous day.
- Blue Collar Brown on cask
- Wolfsblood Scotch Ale
- Lights Out Imperial Stout
- Edgar IPA
- Inspiration Red
In bottles at the Ferry’s house (I think more were consumed – these were just for the tasting; many more were not consumed!)
- Strawberry Creme Ale – Brutal Deluxe Brewery (our homebrew)
- Mount Desert Island Ginger Beer – Atlantic Brewing Co.
- Black Raspberry Reserve – Sly Fox
- Christmas Ale – Great Lakes Brewing Co.
- Old Man Winter – Southern Tier Brewing
- Scratch Beer #4 – Troegs Brewing
- Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2006 – Anchor Brewing Co.
- 2007 Smoked Porter – Alaskan Brewing Co.
- Hibernation Ale – Great Divide Brewing Co.
- Old Abominable Barrel Aged/Bottle Conditioned Barleywine – Stout’s Brewing Co.
At Selin’s Grove – there were 8 beers on tap and 2 on the hand-pump
- Pumpkin Ale on nitrogen
- Mud Puppy Organic Brown Ale on cask
- Mud Puppy Organic Brown Ale on nitrogen
- India Pale Ale
- St. Fillian’s Scotch Style Barleywine on cask; the second beer on the Advent Calendar
Thanks to Heath and Kim for keeping a great pictorial diary of the trip (most of the photos I’ll use in this post are his…they still need to be edited before they get added…) It was great fun to travel with them.
Dave and Pascha went out of their way to make our trip complete by hosting the tasting, providing a nice assortment of finger foods, and allowing us to sleep over (and Pascha sent me home with a great reading list!) Thanks SO much to them, and their entertaining children.
Mary and Steve were delightful company for the tasting, plus I got to see Mary’s Galapagos program, which was cool. It was really fun to see them again.
What a nice way to kick off the month!